Skip to content


Diesel Generator Battery Safety Guide

Diesel Generator Battery Safety Guide

Every part of a Diesel generator poses a risk of failure, and therefore can be a risk to your workers if not handled properly. One of the most dangerous parts of a Diesel generator is the battery. Whilst we have a full explanation of your Diesel generator battery and it’s purpose already on our site, the safety tips and precautions our PowerMark team of experts bare repeating in-depth in their own article. For the battery health & safety tips your business needs to keep your Diesel generator safe, read on!


Being an integral and somewhat complicated part of your Diesel generator, the best way to improve your safety during use is to simply get to know your Diesel generator battery. As aforementioned, we already have a battery guide here on our site, but one important factor to make a note of is what your Diesel generator battery is made of. Most Diesel generator batteries are lead-acid batteries, much like the batteries in most cars.; therefore, many of the safety tips you employ whilst driving also apply here. Your battery, especially when you’re buying genuine parts from PowerMark, should come with extensive documentation from the manufacturer on its specifications, processes and potential areas of concern.


When it comes to Diesel generator batteries, both inside your Diesel generator and out, proper ventilation is integral to property storage. NO open flames should be around a Diesel generator battery, whether its in use or not. Proper signage must be used in this scenario, but this has likely been completed by the installer of your Diesel generator. Outside of usage, a Diesel generator battery should be kept in a well-ventilated area away from sparks and flames (i.e. off the factory floor). Keep any out-of-use / damaged batteries in labelled, secure containment structures. Make sure these are disposed of legally and safely.


35% of the Diesel generator battery solution is sulfuric acid. The pH level of this substance is 0.5, making it incredibly acidic. Sulfuric acid is also a dehydrating agent, that reacts very strongly with water. The other 65% of the lead-acid solution is water. As you can clearly see, proper safety measures must be employed when dealing with a lead-acid battery to avoid serious risk of injury for your employees. When handling a  lead-acid battery, (i.e. during the recharging process) wearing acid-resistant PPE, such as goggles and gloves, is key to avoiding injury. If the acid makes contact with the skin, rinse with water as quickly as possible. For more severe, 2nd degree burns contact a medical professional immediately. Never overcharge a battery to avoid a strong reaction, and ensure eye washing stations are placed around your battery.

PowerMark hopes this guide helps you and your employees keep safe when dealing with Diesel generator battery. For genuine Diesel generator parts from trusted brands such as Mecc Alte and Perkins, including Diesel generator batteries, contact us or browse our range today.

Previous article The Importance of Oil & Coolant for a Diesel Generator
Next article Why You Should Only Buy Genuine Parts